[SailfishDevel] Cannot activate Developer mode

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Tue Dec 31 20:29:41 UTC 2013

Hi David and co.

Some progress, though I don't understand how.

This evening I was about to reset my jolla, as advised by al13n, when
I noticed that the very top screen was Developer Tools, and that
miracle of miracles these had successfully installed, and showed the
WLAN and USB ip numbers.

So developer mode now works, and I can ssh via WLAN.

Also "about product" now shows an update available!!

The strange thing is, I have no idea how these 2 things came to pass.
I rebooted the device at least twice during the day, and did try
several times to get the Jolla to connect to our corporate Visitors'
WLAN hotspot - unsuccessfully I thought. But maybe it did connect and
was able to achieve these 2 tasks

Perhaps we should put it down to magic.

Having got so far, it raises the question, can I get further? Can I
download apps from the store, and even do a system update?

Sadly neither of those seem to work on my home network.

In another thread I saw some advice for Harbour problems:

[root at localhost nemo]# ssu domain sales
Changing domain from sales to sales
[root at localhost nemo]# ssu flavour release
Changing flavour from release to release
[root at localhost nemo]# ssu ur
[root at localhost nemo]# pkcon refresh
Refreshing cache              [=========================]
Waiting in queue              [=========================]
Waiting for authentication    [=========================]
Waiting in queue              [=========================]
Starting                      [=========================]
Refreshing software list      [=========================]
Fatal error: Timeout exceeded when accessing
'https://download.jollamobile.com/pj:/hw:/android:/common:/release/latest_armv7hl/repodata/repomd.xml?credentials=store'.

Doing [root at localhost nemo]# echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf

which helps on the Emulator when I get the "empty reply from server"
error does not help here, if I repeat the above steps I still get.

Fatal error: Timeout exceeded when accessing
'https://download.jollamobile.com/pj:/hw:/android:/common:/release/latest_armv7hl/repodata/repomd.xml?credentials=store'.

Your suggestion below for the system update gives the same error.

Note: I am currently on my home network. As a control check, my N9 is
able to install apps from the Nokia Store.

A happy new year to all.

Chris