[SailfishDevel] No consistency across screens

Mikael Hermansson mike at 7b4.se
Mon Dec 30 21:14:13 UTC 2013

What you seems ask for is "don't turn off screen when /idle/ but make sure it show
battrerystate/phone etc.."? eg in *homeview and lockscreen* that I could agree
but not in applications its just would lock wrong in sailfishos IMHO.

Regards

Mikael

On Monday 30 December 2013 18.07.03 Graham Cobb wrote:
> On 30/12/13 17:20, Mikael Hermansson wrote:
> > On Monday 30 December 2013 15.35.39 Graham Cobb wrote:
> >> I need that information all the time -- a **lot** more
> >> often than I actually interact with the phone.
> >
> > In every app you can just shortly "swipe left less than half of screen"
>
> It doesn't work when on the home screen.  So, you have to look at the
> screen, work out which page it is on and then take some special action
> dependent on that page.
>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9YGtW274GI and you will see the clock,
> > 3g level and wifi level and then just release and you back in current
> > application. So I dont see any reason this must be visible all the time
> > when its so easy check it that way.
>
> My phone sits on my desk, near my normal line of sight, and I glance at
> it frequently. I don't move my hands off the keyboard to touch it -- I
> am not even consciously doing the task of "checking my phone".
>
> I also often glance at it while on a non-handsfree call which has become
> a longer call than I expected -- while talking and listening I can
> quickly move the phone into view, check it isn't about to run down on me
> and return it to my ear without the other person noticing.
>
> There are three key pieces of information which must be available at a
> glance: is there signal?, how is the battery?, have there been any
> missed calls?
>
> Note: I spend a lot of time on conference calls of an hour or so,
> usually using a desk phone -- I often do not remember whether I missed
> any calls on my mobile while I was on a conference call.  Nor do I
> always remember to check when the call finishes (often rushing to get a
> glass of water or go to the toilet before the next call starts).  So,
> having all three things visible whenever my eyes stray from my screen to
> my phone is very important.
>
> > Seriously, just because everyone copycats each other in that area it
> > doesn't mean it can be done different.
>
> Indeed. But just because a UI feature looks nice doesn't mean it is
> necessarily practical.
>
> I am not a UX person, but I strongly suspect the Jolla team need to do
> more user testing, with more varied types of users, in this area.

Skickat från Lenovo Thinkpad X230 running Kubuntu desktop