[SailfishDevel] Impossible to SSH since update: SSH via Wifi

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Mon Dec 30 16:59:25 UTC 2013

Hi David et al.

Can you clarify the exact setup you use for ssh via wifi.

My assumption is:
a) Jolla phone connected to wifi-router via wifi.
b) Development host connected to same network, either also via wifi or
via ethernet cable.

i.e. not a peer-to-peer connection between the phone and development host.

If so I can think of a number of situations where this setup would not
work for me personally
1) I do a lot of my mobile development very literally mobile: i.e. to
kill time while travelling to and from work on the train. On the train
there is no wifi (or rather no free wifi), so a usb connection for ssh
is the best option.
2) At work (yes I know I should be working at work, not doing Sailfish
stuff ..). Here I have not yet succeeded in getting the Jolla to
properly connect to the Visitor WLAN (It gets further than the N9
does, but not as far as a Galaxy Note 3).

While we are on the subject of wifi (and developing on trains), one of
the most useful things on my N9 is the wifi-hotspot. It allows me to
goggle and pkcon / zypper while on the move. I was surprised to find
that my new Jolla does not (yet) have an equivalent. Indeed without it
I can't see it actually replacing the N9 as my everyday phone.

Is a wifi-hotspot in the works from Jolla? I have seen (but not yet
tried) https://github.com/sailfishapps/harbour-hotspot.

Grüsse

p.s, as a positive note, my Jolla arrived this morning!

Chris