[SailfishDevel] PkCon on Emulator: Empty Reply from Server

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Sun Dec 29 15:38:58 UTC 2013

Hi All

Ever so often, when I try to install a package to the Emulator via
PkCon I get the following error:

Schwerwiegender Fehler: Fehler beim Herunterladen (curl) für
'http://releases.sailfishos.org/sdk/latest/jolla/i486/mw/i486/geoclue-0.12.99.3-1.4.1.i486.rpm':
Fehlerkode: Unrecognized error
Fehlernachricht: Empty reply from server

(For the non-german speakers that translates to something like
"Critical Error: Error downloading .... for ....").

Having googled I found a workaround in the logs of an irc conversation
between Jonni and Artem

http://merproject.org/logs/%23sailfishos/%23sailfishos.2013-11-23.log

Namely:

artemma: if you get cant resolve host, then you might want to run as
root in emu: echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf

After running that the server is resolved and packages are installed.

But what is going on here? Why do I repeatedly need to repeat this "fix"?

Chris