[SailfishDevel] Is there any way to report a bug?

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Dec 18 18:30:58 UTC 2013

> [...]
>> We're trying to sort out our policy for handling bugs like this - eg do
>> we
>> give
>> you the internal bug #. If we do then how do we notify you of changes
>> etc?
>> How
>> much effort needs to go into de-duping bugs?
>>
>> Some people may recall the Maemo bugzillla was not a total success (!)
>> in
>> terms
>> of communication and the current feeling is that it's not the right
>> answer
>> for
>> Jolla.
>>
>> For more technical bugs we do have the Mer and Nemo bugzillas - but they
>> really
>> are for code and not end user issues like this. I personally suspect
>> we'll
>> need
>> something like that for Sailfish development related bugs too but we
>> don't
>> want
>> to put something official in place until we know we can provide the
>> support
>> you'd expect.
>>
>> So, in summary, we are working on systems for this and we don't want to
>> provide
>> a half-baked solution which no-one will like - watch this space!
>
> some thoughts from myself on this:
>
> the problem is that sailfish incorporates alot of different things:
>  - sailfish UI (Qt stuff)
>  - jolla apps
>  - sailfishOS system (file system, sailfish-specific configuration stuff
> (not mer/nemo))
>  - jolla device specific configuration
>  - jolla hw
>  - harbour
>  - etc...

i forgot alien dalvik, and HERE maps, hw driver adaptations, (such 3rd
party closed stuff)

people would feel comfortable about their bugs, if they can list it...

the bugs i mentioned that could be opened are actually the ones that
community itself could fix (or devs). like missing apps or a bug for some
app that someone committed as open source...

and definately have enough categories (like the above)

perhaps instead of stating that bugtracker doesn't work, think about why
it didn't work?

iinm the way people work under Sailfish is very different from how Nokia
worked...

but if it's lack of resources to triage it, for instance, i'm sure
considering the openness of this, that alot of people would want to help
out and triage bugs in a community bugtracker...

personally, i liked to have this devel mailing list, to be specific for
devs (and for getting help (so that we can fix some things ourselves)) and
not really for reporting bugs.

Maarten (aka AL13N)

PS: i'm stating this here, even though i'm sure alot of you already heard
my pov on IRC, just for the record... :-)