[SailfishDevel] Files have insufficient permissions when using Android applications

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Dec 11 19:45:49 UTC 2013

> Janne Pulkkinen <jannepulk at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've noticed that when I download files using Firefox, or try to open,
>> copy
>> or in overall handle files using ES File Manager or other Android
>> applications like game emulators, the actions often fail. However, after
>> changed the file and directory permissions to 777 using chmod, the files
>> could be read, copied and moved around without any problems. Since I
>> have
>> to apply the file permissions every time I download a new file, it isn't
>> really good solution to the problem. All the files and directories in
>> question are located in /data/sdcard (which isn't the SD card, but
>> appears
>> to be a sandboxed area of the internal storage used for Android apps).
>
> Yes, that for /data/sdcard that sounds like a problem on our side, I
> just created a bug for investigation. For the home-directory and
> directiories underneath that restrictions for the Android layer are
> intentionally restricted, to /data/sdcard there should not be any such
> restrictions, though.

this looks like either a umask issue, or perhaps this should be fixed by
polkit instead? otoh, /data/sdcard could be vfat, and thus not have any
kind of permissions, which means that android stuff (which is likely not
running as root), would not have access... perhaps mounting needs to be
done as a user and polkit or other acls to actually give access?