[SailfishDevel] Files have insufficient permissions when using Android applications

Janne Pulkkinen jannepulk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:46:50 UTC 2013

This may not technically be a Sailfish OS issue as it is an issue with the
Alien Dalvik software layer Jolla uses to provide Android compatibility,
but I figured it was worth reporting it anyway.

I've noticed that when I download files using Firefox, or try to open, copy
or in overall handle files using ES File Manager or other Android
applications like game emulators, the actions often fail. However, after I
changed the file and directory permissions to 777 using chmod, the files
could be read, copied and moved around without any problems. Since I have
to apply the file permissions every time I download a new file, it isn't a
really good solution to the problem. All the files and directories in
question are located in /data/sdcard (which isn't the SD card, but appears
to be a sandboxed area of the internal storage used for Android apps).

Since this issue makes a lot of Android applications like ZIP managers and
media players unusable, I don't think the Android sandbox is supposed to be
*this* restricted.