[SailfishDevel] Does Sailfish support PyQt5?

Roberto Colistete Jr. roberto.colistete at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 01:46:33 UTC 2013

     Hi,

     Sailfish OS supports Python (2.7 as default and also Python 3.3 in
optional repository "mer-python3"). See "Python (modules) on Mer/Nemo"
topic in Talk Maemo.org :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88881
Mer/Nemo projects about Python :
https://build.merproject.org/search/search?search_text=Python&commit=Search&project=1&package=1&name=1&attribute=&advanced=on&issue_tracker=bnc+%28Novell+Bugzilla%29&issue_name=

     Python with mobile GUI (using Qt5/Qt Quick 2) in Sailfish needs
PyOtherSide (for Python 3.3) :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1367517&postcount=3
https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2013-September/000782.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1382004&postcount=29
or PyQt >= 5.1  :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1381050&postcount=28
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1382754&postcount=37

     So there are already some Sailfish softwares using Python and
PyOtherSide/PyQt, for example :
- gPodder (uses PyOtherSide) :
https://github.com/gpodder/gpodder-sailfish
- ownNotes (uses PyOtherSide for Python 2.7) :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91003
- Panucci (uses PyQt) :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1391142&postcount=563
- Fremantleline (uses PyOtherSide) :
https://github.com/sailfishapps/fremantleline

     But Gabriel and Benoît HERVIER are right with respect the Jolla
Harbour Store :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1390683&postcount=48
So Python softwares aren't easily visible by Sailfish users.

     Warehouse (a client frontend for OpenRepos.net) will also be
released for Sailfish :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1390637&postcount=153
and OpenRepos has Sailfish repositories :
https://openrepos.net/
So any Python dependencies can be placed in developer's OpenRepos
repository.

     Conclusion : Python is supported by Sailfish. Only Sailfish
official "store" (Harbour) is not yet supporting Python (with GUI), but
it will do in the following weeks.

         Regards,

         Roberto