[SailfishDevel] How to write a game on Sailfish OS?

Chris Adams chris.adams at jollamobile.com
Thu Apr 18 00:25:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

Depending on the type of game, you might want to use a C++ backend for performance reasons.  Many games, however, can be written with the game logic implemented in JavaScript and perform just fine.

Eg, the "Maroon" demo (from the Qt5 qtdeclarative demos) available at http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtdeclarative/trees/stable/examples/quick/demos/maroon uses pure QML/JS with a simple cpp entrypoint.  It's a fairly simple "tower defence" game with a coral-reef theme.  It will run just fine on quite low-end hardware, to be honest.

Obviously, it's a Qt5 demo, so won't work with Qt4 (it uses particle effects which aren't supported in Qt4, for example), but similar demos from Qt4 (like the Qt4 version of SameGame) show that this type of game can be written with Qt4 QML/JS just fine.

But, yeah, for games which are more complex, or games which use much more OpenGL, just go straight to C++, I'd recommend.

Cheers,
Chris.