[SailfishDevel] Harmattan to SailfishOS Migration: Any Best Practices out there?

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Tue Apr 9 19:38:24 UTC 2013

Hi All

I am in the process of migrating my current Harmattan project to SailfishOS.

The goal is (at least initially) to achieve a "minimum effort"
migration to get my project running on both platforms from a common
code base. (Later, when Sailfish devices are commercially available I
can then do a full native migration and dump the Harmattan side).

So my question is: are there any recommended best practices out there
to achieve such a "minimum effort / common code base" migration?

I have found this suggestion which I am currently digesting:

http://thpmaemo.blogspot.ch/2013/03/porting-harmattan-apps-to-sailfish.html

Challenges that I have so far identified are:

1) The Harmattan SDK by default installed Qt packages that are
optional in the Mer / SailfishOS SDK: This does not worry me too much,
I think I should be able to identify the ones relative to my project
quickly enough.
2) A Harmattan project (like mine) is very likely to use Qt Objects
from the package "com.nokia.meego 1.0"
Is it possible to install this package on Sailfish? If so how?
Or do I need to replace these Harmattan specific components? e.g. with
generic Qt components common to both platforms? / custom component? /
system of wrappers? xxxx?

Thanks

Chris